Do I need a compliance certificate?

Kruger Attorneys & Conveyancers Inc
Kruger Attorneys & Conveyancers Inc is a specialised conveyancing practice, providing incomparable property law services through practical wisdom and trusted advice.

When selling a property, the regulations of the Occupational Health and Safety Act expressly provide that the seller must provide a valid Electrical Compliance Certificate (also known as a “COC” or "ECC").

Some reasons to obtain a COC which covers the electrical installation of the property include:

  • Electrical circuits in a property are required to be properly earthed for safety reasons.
  • The bank issuing a home loan, will require a COC as an additional requirement to ensure that the Property which it is providing a home loan for and that the asset which forms the basis of their security is safe and compliant.
  • Without a valid COC, insurance may in certain instances refuse to pay out a claim for damage to property relating to, for example an electrical fault.

A COC is valid for 2 (two) years from date of issue, provided that no repairs, changes or additions to the electrical installation have been made.

By Chana Finger for Kruger Attorneys & Conveyancers Inc