Design trends for 2012
Just like fashion trends change with each new year, interior design trends also changes from year to year. Want to find out what is sizzling up the design world this year? Look no further...
This year sees four major colours coming out to shine:
- Purple: from tables to scatter cushions, the colour purple is ruler of the Pantones.
- Green: this unusual colour is making a big splash in the kitchen area, with many new designs featuring anything from a lime green to a soft mint green
- Orange: although orange has been high on the list for many years but 2012 sees it move up as just a hot colour to THE colour.
Natural: not a fan of bright colours? Keep it natural. Natural colours are very hot right now.
When it comes to patterns there are a few trendy designs that is sure to catch your attention.
- Any kind of mesh or woven pattern on sofas, cushions or curtains are considered very fashionable.
- Floral patterns remains a staple in the design world, even better if these floral patterns are in one of the aforementioned colours
- Having patterns which is reminiscent of world travels is another trend we love. Think a cabinet made from wood from a far away island.
- Contrasting patterns is a trend to look out for as well. Finishes in black and white for example will put your interiors on point.
Everyone has their own style sensibilities and these style trends should only compliment your own tastes.
- Go for gold! Gold finishes and accents are the order of the day.
- Having an interior with wooden floors, rustic door knobs and hammered copper is a trend that we can see fitting in with South Africans’ love of the outdoors.
- For those who like a minimalist interior, do not fear, designers everywhere are leaning towards this concept more and more as we strive to simplify our lives.
- Designers are also looking at pieces which will withstand the busy lives we all lead. Pieces which has been built to last curious toddlers and hectic parents are making their way into designer homes across the world.