24 Oct 2016
The suburb of Wynberg was originally farming land belonging to one of the freeburgers that supplied the Dutch East India Company. In 1682 the land was sold to Herman Weeckens, who named the farm De Oude Wijnbergh. With the Cape’s seas growing far rougher during the winter months, ships would lay anchor at Simon’s Baai, which would later be called Simon’s Town. Sailors would then travel via wagon route from Simon’s Town to Cape Town, passing through De Oude Wijnbergh estate.