select
|

Germiston Central - Attracting young homebuyers

Area history

Situated on the East Rand of Gauteng, Germiston was initially established in the early days of the gold rush when two prospectors struck their fortune on the farm of Elandsfontein. The one’s name was John Jack who was originally from a farm called Germiston near Glasgow and the other was August Simmer from Vacha in Germany.  After news spread of the men finding gold, the town sprang up next to the mine and by 1921 the world’s largest gold refinery, known as the Rand Refinery, was established in the area. According to statistics around 70% of western civilisation’s gold passes through this refinery.


2 Bedroom Townhouse for sale in Solheim, Germiston

Today, Germiston forms the seat of the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality which includes most of the East Rand and is considered part of greater Johannesburg. 

Area property information

Adrian Goslett, CEO of RE/MAX of Southern Africa, says that it is interesting to note how many young buyers are purchasing properties in Germiston central. He says that according to Lightstone data, 80% of recent buyers were between the ages of 18 and 35 years old, while the remaining 20% were between the ages of 36 and 49 years old. On the other side of the property transaction the largest demographic of sellers (40%) are those over the age of 65 years old. Currently the largest group of existing homeowners in the area are between the ages of 36 and 49 years old, followed by their younger counterparts below 35 years old.

Goslett notes that the property in Germiston Central consists of 59.21% freestanding homes and 40.79% sectional title units. He says that the average price of a freestanding home jumped from around R166 000 in 2006 to a record high of R566 000 in 2007. The price dropped in 2008 and has gradually decreased up until 2011. Both sectional title unit prices and freestanding home prices saw improvement in 2012 and have continued on their upward trend this year.

According to Goslett, sales transactions peaked in the area during 2006, with the number of sales transactions five times more than the volumes seen during the previous year.  Sales volumes decreased in 2007 and have remained fairly flat ever since.

Property price trends





Demand for property

Goslett says that 76.9% of homes sold in Germiston Central between December 2012 and November 2013 were priced below R400 000, while the remaining 23.1% of properties sold during this period were priced between R400 000 and R800 000.


  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
  
2000
Characters remaining


    Latest Property News
    • 17 Jan 2018
      While the current property market may still favour buyers, it doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be well prepared before putting in an offer to purchase.
    • 17 Jan 2018
      Lightstone lists Blair Atholl as the most expensive suburb with an average house price of R11.2 million, followed by Westcliff (R10.5 million), Dunkeld (R9.3 million), Sandhurst (R9.1 million) and Inanda (R7.2 million).
    • 17 Jan 2018
      As it currently stands, there are four main ways in which a home can be bought in South Africa, says Adrian Goslett, Regional Director and CEO of RE/MAX of Southern Africa, who adds that deciding in which legal entity to purchase the property is not a decision that should be entered into lightly, as each has its pros and cons.
    • 16 Jan 2018
      The start of the new year is symbolic of new beginnings. A good time to take stock of one’s possessions as well as how necessary they actually are. However, seeing as the process may appear daunting – a plan goes a long way.
    • 16 Jan 2018
      The Western Cape is still in the throes of a severe drought and many households have to adjust the way they use and save water. It is a little more complicated in sectional title schemes, however, as it is not that easy to implement grey water systems for multiple users and it is also difficult to monitor water usage accurately if there are no separate water meters
    • 15 Jan 2018
      In ideal rental situations, when a lease is signed the tenant will stay for the full duration of his lease without any complications and the landlord will uphold his obligations, creating a win-win situation for tenant and landlord.
    • 15 Jan 2018
      The Atlantic Seaboard’s housing market has stoically withstood the brunt of the growing economic and political instability, consistently achieving double digit growth way above the national average, however, in 2017 South Africa’s most resilient market finally began to yield to the pressure.
    • 15 Jan 2018
      Sectional title insurance can be a little confusing and, as a new owner, you may be tempted to just assume your body corporate has you covered. While this may be the case, understanding the extent of your coverage and your personal liability is the only guaranteed way to protect yourself against potentially costly oversights.
        
    X
    Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

    Name  
    Last Name  
    Email Address  
    Email Frequency
    select
    X
    Share this Page

       
    For Sale Property
    Rental Property
    More Options
    About
    Connect with us
    FEEDBACK