Investors catch on to excellent rental returns in Mossel Bay

Lower-priced residential units in Mossel Bay on the Garden Route are now being heavily targeted by investors anticipating excellent rental returns.

?4 Bedroom House for sale in Pinnacle Point Golf Estate, Mossel Bay
Returns of more than 12% per year are now being achieved on units priced at below R300 000, says George Krause, co-owner of leading local agency Harcourts Trio. “Rental properties in this range are in strong demand because of their affordability and landlords can easily find tenants at rentals of R2800 a month for units with a price tag of R280 000," he says.
Units in this price range typically offer two bedrooms, one bathroom and an open-plan kitchen and lounge. The best “bargains” at the moment are to be found in the extensions at the edge of town where bachelor flats selling at around R130 000 are achieving monthly rentals of up to R1500, Krause says.
Around 60% of investors are local, with the remaining 40% recently coming from Gauteng, Cape Town and Kimberley.

7 Bedroom house for sale in Dana Bay, Mossel Bay
Reasonable prices for property across the board are also attracting investors from various parts of the country and bargain hunters are particularly active in the market, he says.
“Initially, such buyers usually target properties in distress that are being marketed through the banks' sales aid programmes, because of the misconception that most such properties are being offered at 80% of value.
"The reality, however, is that some such properties may be offered at 80% of the outstanding mortgage balance, and not 80% of the market value. In fact many of these properties are ‘distressed’ precisely because owners paid prices above market value at the height of the last boom. And buyers, who do their homework quickly come to realise that the prices of properties in the aid programmes are generally on par with properties offered in the rest of the market."
Meanwhile, Krause says, first-time local buyers in Mossel Bay are active in the R500 000 to R800 000 price range, while young professionals between the ages of 25 and 35 who work at Mossel Bay's Petro SA and earn good salaries target more upscale properties in the R1,2m to R2,6m price range.
However the luxury market remains quiet, he says. "A top property in Pinnacle Point, for example, has been on the market for about four years at R12,8m - but there are no takers."

  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
Characters remaining

    Latest Property News
    • 17 Nov 2017
      FWJK has announced the launch of its latest residential brand, the Lil’ Apple, which will be launched simultaneously in two developments in Cape Town and Umhlanga totaling 600 apartments. The Lil’ Apple is set to be a brand of FWJK’s New York style apartments which will be rolled out nationally.
    • 17 Nov 2017
      It’s been a tumultuous year on many fronts, with socio-political uncertainty setting the tone for much of South Africa’s economic activity yet despite this and seemingly counter-intuitively, the residential property market has held up well.
    • 17 Nov 2017
      The EAAB (the Estate Agency Affairs Board) recently claimed that around 50,000 illegal estate agents could currently be operating illegally.
    • 16 Nov 2017
      Penthouses are synonymous with New York – characterised by high-rise living that is decidedly luxurious and spacious. While exclusivity comes at a price, you can still create a “penthouse” look and feel in your existing apartment or even the upstairs bedroom of a double storey house with some clever design changes and styling touches.
    • 16 Nov 2017
      The area has long been popular with kite surfers and, with escalating property prices in Cape Town itself, is increasingly in demand with home owners who work in town, but are looking to invest in more affordable properties.
    • 16 Nov 2017
      Cape Town’s popularity as a world-class tourist destination has resulted in a spike in the number of homes available for holiday lets and fuelled investor demand for sectional title units with short term rental potential.
    • 15 Nov 2017
      Sappi, one of South Africa’s oldest global companies and a leading global supplier of sustainable woodfibre products, has moved its global and regional headquarters to a new site on the corner of Oxford and 14th Avenue in Rosebank.
    • 15 Nov 2017
      There’s an old saying in real estate that you should seek to make a profit when you buy, not only when you sell – and a large part of succeeding at that endeavour is buying a home in an area with desirable features that will enhance the resale value of your property.
    Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

    Last Name  
    Email Address  
    Email Frequency
    Share this Page

    For Sale Property
    Rental Property
    More Options
    Connect with us