Insurance of Sectional Title units

It is a common misconception among sectional title unit owners that movables such as furniture and curtains, as well as buildings, common property, and fixtures within sections are covered by the body corporate's insurance policy.

Martin Bester, managing director of Intersect Sectional Title Services, a sectional title specialist company based in the Western Cape, offers some advice on common issues encountered with the insurance of sectional title units.

What does the body corporate insurance policy cover?

Prescribed Management Rule 29(1)(a) places a duty on the trustees to ensure that the buildings and all improvements to the common property are insured, whilst the onus for insurance on moveable items falls on the individual residents.

Bester advises that the body corporate insurance policy covers the building(s), all fixtures and fittings and liability and indemnity insurance against perils that are specified in the Act, as well as other perils that the members may decide are required: "Perils such as lightning, storm, flood, fire, earthquake, bursting geysers or hot water apparatus and resultant loss of rent etcetera are covered."

How are excesses determined and who pays them?

"The excess is predetermined and negotiated with the body corporate's insurance broker or insurer," says Bester. "Different excesses apply to different perils and the more a particular peril is claimed for the higher the premium and/or excess is likely to be at renewal.

"Excesses for claims relating to the common property are payable by the body corporate. However excesses payable in terms of sections are payable by the owner of the section suffering the loss."

Prescribed Management Rule 29(4) says that the owner of a section is responsible for any excess payment in respect of his or her section, payable in terms of a contract of insurance entered into by the body corporate, provided that owners may by special resolution determine that the body corporate is responsible for excess payments in respect of specified damage.

According to Bester, some body corporates have amended their rules to deal with the application of excesses, but, as so many cases are not cut and dry, the application of the rule that each owner is liable for an excess if he or she suffers a loss seems to remove ambiguity and arguments from the equation. 

Can I insure my unit for more than the body corporate is providing?

Bester says that the answer is yes. "The members approve the insurance replacement values at each AGM. However the body corporate only insures at an agreed rate, therefore if the owner feels that the sum insured for his or her section is too low, usually as a result of internal improvements, then he or she may increase the sum insured via the body corporate's policy. However he or she will be liable for the difference in the premium as a result thereof."

How is the sum insured calculated?

"Although the onus is on the trustees to ensure that the building(s) is insured to the full replacement value, the value needs to be determined, and for this a professional valuation is recommended, preferably by a qualified quantity surveyor. However, when a scheme is established, the trustees will apply a replacement value to the building(s) and improvements to the common property," says Bester.

"At Intersect we advise our clients to have the buildings and improvements professionally valued every three to four years, so as to ensure that the replacement values applied are reasonable and accurate."

"Failure to have the building(s) and common property improvements valued could lead to over- or under-insurance, both of which have negative connotations," concludes Bester.

  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
Characters remaining

    Latest Property News
    • 23 Feb 2018
      RE/MAX Property Associates’ Table View Office, which services property buyers and sellers along the Table Bay coastline and surrounds, has recently sold a home in Woodbridge Island for R11 million – the highest price paid for any home in the sought-after security complex.
    • 23 Feb 2018
      Choosing to invest in an overseas property can be daunting. But as more and more investors recognise the value of a diversified portfolio that includes property outside of their own country of residence, international property investment is growing in popularity.
    • 23 Feb 2018
      The positive change in South Africa’s political landscape is paving the way for an upswing in the local property market.
    • 22 Feb 2018
      An excellent credit score is one of the most priceless assets a potential home buyer can have. This tool has the power to secure favorable mortgage and refinancing rate, influencing everything from the size of the loan repayment to the interest rate on the home loan.
    • 22 Feb 2018
      What do you do if you love your home’s location and the area, but the home no longer fits your growing family’s needs? Do you stay and renovate your existing home or find a home that meets your developing criteria?
    • 22 Feb 2018
      While every owner wants to sell their property at the best possible price, overpricing a home can be the kiss of death for a sale.
    • 21 Feb 2018
      Given the hand they were dealt, government has performed a delicate balancing act which it is hoped will serve to reignite confidence in investment in South Africa, regain our global credibility and satisfy the credit ratings agencies, says Dr Andrew Golding, chief executive of the Pam Golding Property group.
    • 21 Feb 2018
      The real estate mantra, ‘location, location, location’ remains a strong market influence regardless of the prevailing economy, with suburbs like Rondebosch enjoying the buffering benefit of being ideally situated.
    Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

    Last Name  
    Email Address  
    Email Frequency
    Share this Page

    For Sale Property
    Rental Property
    More Options
    Connect with us