Is there a dangerous gap in your property insurance?

If you’re a landlord you need to check your property insurance for public liability cover.

“This type of cover is usually included in the property insurance policy or policies you have to insure your car and household contents, but may not form part of a home owner’s policy that insures you against damage or loss to a property you are renting out,” says Berry Everitt, MD of the Chas Everitt International property group.

“And a recent case in the UK has shone the spotlight on what could happen if there is such a gap in your property insurance cover. It involves a fall by the guest of a tenant down some stairs in a rental property, and the claim, against the property landlord, is expected to be well above £1 million.

“The guest who fell is claiming that the stairs were not “fit for purpose” and because he is young, the compensation to be paid – if the landlord is found liable – will be a significant sum to cover ongoing care and loss of earnings. Fortunately for the landlord in this case, he does have public liability insurance, but would be facing a grim financial outlook without it.”

Writing in the latest Signposts Property newsletter, he notes that in South African property most lenders will insist that you have HOC (or house owner’s cover) on any residential property which is bonded, whether you live there or rent it out – and this is the policy to check for a public liability clause.

“If there is one, it will usually cover damage or loss of property by and injury to anyone who is legally on the property except members of your own household, which would of course include tenants and their guests in the case of a rental property.

“However, if there is no such clause – or your property is not bonded and for some reason you don’t have HOC – you need to see your broker or contact your insurance company about such cover immediately.

“Remember, although your tenant may well have a public liability provision in his own household contents policy, it will most likely not cover members of his household, and you could well be held liable if any of them falls down the stairs, or trips over some cracked paving, or has a water-damaged ceiling in the property fall on them after a geyser has burst.”

And, Everitt notes, the matter is even more urgent if the property you let is in a sectional title complex. “This will usually have one property insurance policy covering all the buildings in the complex, with the premiums being paid for by the body corporate out of everyone’s monthly levies. But if there is no public liability clause included, and a non-resident is injured on common property, you and your fellow owners will have to personally fork out any damages awarded.”

  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
Characters remaining

    Latest Property News
    • 19 Jan 2018
      Extending from Randfontein in the west to Roodepoort in the east and including the towns of Krugersdorp and Magaliesburg, the West Rand has a plethora of property available to residents who choose to make this unique area their home.
    • 19 Jan 2018
      When it comes to financial planning, doing the work to ensure you’re prepared for unexpected emergencies is just as important as ticking off your other goals and New Year’s resolutions. The beginning of the year is also the perfect time to review your various insurance policies.
    • 19 Jan 2018
      No surprises at the first Monetary Policy Committee of 2018, as Reserve Bank Governor, Lesetja Kganyago, announced that the interest rates would stay at their current levels.
    • 18 Jan 2018
      The Southern Suburbs make up some of the most popular residential areas in Cape Town, comprising charming groups of suburbs which lie to the south-east of the slopes of Table Mountain. It is seen as the city's most expensive residential neighbourhoods with a choice of various private schools, upmarket eateries, wine estates, beautiful homes and trendy apartments.
    • 18 Jan 2018
      New year, new goals! If you’ve resolved to purchase your first property in 2018, then this 6-step guide from the Rawson Property Group is a must-read. It will help you navigate and simplify what is often be seen as a confusing process of buying your first home – right from the house-hunt to the house-warming.
    • 17 Jan 2018
      While the current property market may still favour buyers, it doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be well prepared before putting in an offer to purchase.
    • 17 Jan 2018
      Lightstone lists Blair Atholl as the most expensive suburb with an average house price of R11.2 million, followed by Westcliff (R10.5 million), Dunkeld (R9.3 million), Sandhurst (R9.1 million) and Inanda (R7.2 million).
    • 17 Jan 2018
      As it currently stands, there are four main ways in which a home can be bought in South Africa, says Adrian Goslett, Regional Director and CEO of RE/MAX of Southern Africa, who adds that deciding in which legal entity to purchase the property is not a decision that should be entered into lightly, as each has its pros and cons.
    Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

    Last Name  
    Email Address  
    Email Frequency
    Share this Page

    For Sale Property
    Rental Property
    More Options
    Connect with us