select
|

Schubart Park residents await fate

Ousted residents of Schubart Park will have to wait a while longer before knowing whether they will be allowed to return to their homes after the Constitutional Court yesterday reserved judgement in their application.

The residents, assisted by Lawyers for Human Rights (LHR), turned to the highest court in the land to appeal against several Pretoria High Court judgments handed down in September. In terms of these rulings, none of the residents may return to their Schubart Park homes.
Yesterday's application centred on whether these people were evacuated, as claimed by the Tshwane Metro Council or had been evicted, as claimed by LHR.

Four busloads of residents yesterday arrived at the Constitutional Court to hear their fate. They all wore red T-shirts with the words "My Home, my pride, forever."

The Schubart Park debacle was sparked by events on September 21 when a group went on the rampage during service delivery protests.

At the time about 700 families were living in the three blocks of flats, which were in a dilapidated state. Water and electricity services had been cut off, resulting in some of the residents taking to the streets.

The protest turned violent and the police tried to bring the protesters under control.

The residents could not go back to their homes, as the police had cordoned off the area and evacuated other residents from their flats.

The entire property was eventually sealed off and by the end of September all the buildings were empty.

The residents turned to the high court in a bid to return. But the council presented evidence from its experts that the buildings were in too dangerous a condition to inhabit.

Judge Bill Prinsloo at the time refused permission for the residents to return and said he was not going to have their blood on his hands.

Some were given temporary accommodation by the council, but most had to find shelter. Many slept on the streets for days.

LHR told the Constitutional Court that the appeal was to ensure that the residents were given the opportunity to return to their homes in Schubart Park - immediately or after the council had refurbished the apartments.

Counsel for LHR argued that structural engineers hired by the organisation to inspect the buildings had found the foundations to be stable.

Advocate Rudolph Jansen, for LHR, said the conduct of the council and the police in refusing to allow the residents to return was unlawful once the protests had been brought under control.
The council said it had acted within its rights as the buildings posed a danger to the lives of the occupants, according to its experts' findings. The residents had been evacuated as an emergency measure, it said.

The court was told that the council had regarded this as a temporary move from the "disaster-stricken area" pending the refurbishment of the flats, "if possible".

The council said the court could not ignore the conflicting opinions of the structural engineers, especially in the light of the evidence of the council's experts who said "no structural engineer will dare to declare the buildings safe for occupation in its present condition".

The Socio-economic Rights Institute of SA has entered the fray as a friend of the court and asked that the residents to permitted to return.

Counsel for the institute argued that "this case is not really about the residents' safety or the habitability of the property, but rather about the ease with which the state removed 3 000 people from their homes without a legal warrant".

The judges were told that "the problem with this case is not just that the law was transgressed, but that it was completely absent".

(Pretoria News)


  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
  
2000
Characters remaining


  • charles.vaneeden - posted 25 Aug 2012 12:58 PM                                    

    The property may be delapidated, but the structure is there.
    It is a high rise complex which can accommodate numbers of people.
    and there is a large shortfall of accommodation.
    It should be more efficient to repair the building than to start and provide accommodation from scratch!

Latest Property News
  • 19 Jan 2018
    Extending from Randfontein in the west to Roodepoort in the east and including the towns of Krugersdorp and Magaliesburg, the West Rand has a plethora of property available to residents who choose to make this unique area their home.
  • 19 Jan 2018
    When it comes to financial planning, doing the work to ensure you’re prepared for unexpected emergencies is just as important as ticking off your other goals and New Year’s resolutions. The beginning of the year is also the perfect time to review your various insurance policies.
  • 19 Jan 2018
    No surprises at the first Monetary Policy Committee of 2018, as Reserve Bank Governor, Lesetja Kganyago, announced that the interest rates would stay at their current levels.
  • 18 Jan 2018
    The Southern Suburbs make up some of the most popular residential areas in Cape Town, comprising charming groups of suburbs which lie to the south-east of the slopes of Table Mountain. It is seen as the city's most expensive residential neighbourhoods with a choice of various private schools, upmarket eateries, wine estates, beautiful homes and trendy apartments.
  • 18 Jan 2018
    New year, new goals! If you’ve resolved to purchase your first property in 2018, then this 6-step guide from the Rawson Property Group is a must-read. It will help you navigate and simplify what is often be seen as a confusing process of buying your first home – right from the house-hunt to the house-warming.
  • 17 Jan 2018
    While the current property market may still favour buyers, it doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be well prepared before putting in an offer to purchase.
  • 17 Jan 2018
    Lightstone lists Blair Atholl as the most expensive suburb with an average house price of R11.2 million, followed by Westcliff (R10.5 million), Dunkeld (R9.3 million), Sandhurst (R9.1 million) and Inanda (R7.2 million).
  • 17 Jan 2018
    As it currently stands, there are four main ways in which a home can be bought in South Africa, says Adrian Goslett, Regional Director and CEO of RE/MAX of Southern Africa, who adds that deciding in which legal entity to purchase the property is not a decision that should be entered into lightly, as each has its pros and cons.
    
X
Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

Name  
Last Name  
Email Address  
Email Frequency
select
X
Share this Page

   
For Sale Property
Rental Property
More Options
About
Connect with us
FEEDBACK