When must the body corporate pay for my repairs?

| Article By Anton Kelly

Owners in sectional title schemes often think that the body corporate is automatically responsible to repair damage to their section if the damage is the result of some failure of the common property.

The basic maintenance and repair responsibilities are set out in the Sectional Titles Schemes Management Act “the Act” in Section 3, Functions of the body corporate and Section 13, Duties of owners. The body corporate must maintain all the common property and keep it in a state of good and serviceable repair, and an owner must repair and maintain his or her section in a state of good repair.

Of course, failure to maintain the property for which one is responsible often has an adverse effect on other property. Examples are leaking roofs and showers that damage the sections below. But not all damage is caused by neglect.

Quite common examples of the cause of serious repair issues are subsidence and foundation failure, which are not usually maintenance issues. Cracks in floors and walls can be the result and, in extreme cases, compromise of the building’s structural integrity. While the damage to property is not always extensive, water ingress causing damp can be very difficult and expensive, and sometimes impossible, to cure. What is the body corporate’s responsibility in these situations, and does it extend to the repair of damage to sections?

It’s obvious that, in the examples above, the owner with the leaking shower must have the leak repaired, and the body corporate must repair the roof leak and the failure of the foundations, but do they have some responsibility for the resultant damage to sections?

The Act apportions the legal responsibility for maintenance and repair of the common property to the body corporate, and maintenance and repair of sections to their owners. It does not deal with responsibility for consequential or resultant damage. The body corporate is not, therefore, automatically responsible for the repair of damage to sections caused by a failure of the common property, but the owner concerned is entitled to make a claim for the reasonable cost of the repair from the body corporate. Likewise, the owner whose section is damaged by a leak from another section is entitled to claim the cost of their repair from the other owner.

Making a claim from the body corporate, or another owner, could be as simple as sending a copy of the repair invoice and payment receipt with a polite request for reimbursement. If the request is refused, the owners may seek assistance from the Community Scheme Ombud.
The Community Schemes Ombud Service Act provides a list of orders that applicants for dispute resolution can request. These orders deal with a range of community scheme financial, behavioural, and physical issues. Included are an order that a person carry out specified repairs, and an order that a person pay an amount, decided on by an adjudicator, as reimbursement for repairs made by the applicant.

If you own property in a community scheme and have suffered a loss as a result of the failure of property for which another person is responsible, and need assistance with making an application to the Community Scheme Ombud, please contact for a no obligation quotation.

For more on which parts of the scheme form part of common property, visit this blog post.

The Guide to CSOS Applications for Dispute Resolution

Paddocks has designed a free, online guide to assist you in understanding the CSOS, the types of orders it can grant and the process of putting together an application for dispute resolution. Click here to visit the guide and minimise the chance of your order being rejected unnecessarily.

  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
Characters remaining

    Latest Property News
    • 25 May 2018
      Reliable public transport systems moving a mass of commuters to and from work, keep a city’s economy moving. Not only do they have a positive impact on economic growth, successful rail links also influence property values.
    • 25 May 2018
      The live, play and visit environment that Centurion Residential Estate & Country Club offers continues to attract buyers looking for a very specific lifestyle and ambiance.
    • 25 May 2018
      As expected, the Monetary Policy Committee kept the repo rate stable, with analysts and market commentators ahead of yesterday's announcement (24 May 2018) pointing to a more hawkish stance amid a weaker rand, somewhat less stable global environment, and an eye on the inflation outlook – coupled with the increase in VAT and sizeable hike in the price of fue
    • 24 May 2018
      Most real estate professionals agree that 2017 was one the toughest years to date; an eminently challenging 12 months that subdued even the strongest markets - including the country’s economic powerhouse of Sandton.
    • 24 May 2018
      These are uncertain and challenging times for the real estate industry, but the non-profit organisation Rebosa is fighting for their interests and finding pragmatic solutions to industry issues such as the urgent need to fast-track transformation says Richard Gray, Rebosa chairman.
    • 24 May 2018
      The decision to invest in property isn’t one that’s taken lightly, or dealt with flippantly. The same should ring true when deciding on an estate agent partner to handle the letting out of your property.
    • 23 May 2018
      Homeowners who are thinking of selling and “trading up” to a bigger or a better home had better be quick now if they want to get the best deal.
    • 23 May 2018
      The new Loftus Park development in Arcadia is really going to boost the demand for homes and rental accommodation close by and the neighbouring suburb of Sunnyside, says Gerhard Kotzé, MD of estate agency group RealNet Holdings.
    Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

    Last Name  
    Email Address  
    Email Frequency
    Share this Page

    For Sale Property
    Rental Property
    More Options
    Connect with us