Permission required before you build

Even though it is not required to submit building plans for projects defined as ‘minor building work’, homeowners will still require written permission from their local authority before they start, says Adrian Goslett, Regional Director and CEO of RE/MAX of Southern Africa.

He points out that the National Building Regulations and Building Standards Act (Act 103 of 1977), states in part 13 (1)(a) that to undertake any building work, even if the project falls under “minor building work”, the homeowner will have to apply to their local authority for authorization. The homeowner will need to receive written permission from the building control officer, following on receival of a permit application from the owner, before they can start their project. Written permission granted to the homeowner in terms of section 13 of the said Act, therefor exempts them from submitting formal building plans.

Christo Hamman, Manager of Building Control at the Hessequa Municipality says: “We require a formal decision, in terms of section 13(1)(b) of the Act, by our Building Control section, following an application by the owner for minor building works. An approved building fee is also required. The reason we require homeowners to obtain authorization is because of the numerous legal issues regarding for instance building lines, view, aesthetics, etc.  While homeowners are entitled to undertake minor building projects (see definition of “minor building works”) without formal building plans, they need to adhere to the requirements of section 13 in the Act. Obtaining authorization beforehand will ensure that they are proceeding with the project in the correct manner and erecting the building in accordance with the directions specified in such authorization.”

According to Goslett, even erecting a temporary structure as such as builder’s shed will require permission from the local authority. “It is not just the project itself that will have to given the thumbs up by the local municipality, but also all other structures that may need to be put up during the period the project takes place,” says Goslett.

To provide permission for a temporary structure, in terms of SANS 10400: Part A23; the municipality will require the following information:

- The buildings intended purpose and the length of time it will remain on the property
- Where the homeowner intends to erect the structure
- The availability of suitable materials from which it may be constructed

In conclusion, Goslett says that before starting any building project, be it minor building work or otherwise, it is advisable to contact your local authority and obtain permission upfront.

  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
Characters remaining

    Latest Property News
    • 22 May 2018
      Extreme weather appears to be the new normal, evident by the volume of insurance-related disputes reaching the industry watchdog’s desk. To avoid a situation in which your insurer refuses to pay up, you should proactively ensure that your home is well-maintained and ready for whatever winter has in store.
    • 22 May 2018
      As the impact of technology on the real estate industry becomes more significant, it is clear that there is a need for an objective look at not only traditional real estate models but also online and other alternative low-commission real estate agencies, to examine what they offer and what their impact might be.
    • 22 May 2018
      According to Adrian Goslett, Regional Director and CEO of RE/MAX of Southern Africa, dealing with some sort of neighbour dispute is an unavoidable part of life unless, perhaps, you choose to live on a remote small holding for the rest of your life.
    • 22 May 2018
      Buyers feel that they are getting value for money in the Northcliff area without having to compromise on aesthetics and amenities
    • 21 May 2018
      Secure living is one of the growing property trends in South Africa and Nooitgedacht Estate in Stellenbosch certainly ticks the right boxes for buyers who want a secure, exclusive lifestyle in one of the Boland’s most sought-after estates, says Pam Golding Properties.
    • 21 May 2018
      With sectional titles growing in popularity, an increasing amount of homeowners simply do not have the garden space to install a tool shed in their backyard.
    • 18 May 2018
      Home improvements are a great way to add value to your property, but not all of us have bottomless pockets for a full-on renovation. Lucky for us, there are plenty of affordable DIYs that can spruce things up over a free weekend.
    • 18 May 2018
      The need for large office spaces is slowly eroding as more and more employers choose to allow their staff to work remotely. As a result, the home business model has grown in popularity, with many new entrepreneurs choosing to start their business from home rather than in a business district. But, what are the legal implications of operating a business in a residential area?
    Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

    Last Name  
    Email Address  
    Email Frequency
    Share this Page

    For Sale Property
    Rental Property
    More Options
    Connect with us