How the CSOS dispute resolution service works

Bodies Corporate and Home Owners’ Associations are starting to get a sense of how the office of the Ombud for Community Schemes is going to work – and the sorts of issues it will be able to resolve.
“A case in point,” says Andrew Schaefer, MD of national property management company Trafalgar*, “is a dispute within an HOA that we recently took on over its Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI) that needs to be filed with the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC).
“The MOI is the document that sets out the rights, duties and responsibilities of shareholders, directors and others within a company, and is required because HOAs are regarded as companies in terms of the Companies Act of 2008.”
An MOI had been drafted by the previous managing agent, he says, but the procedures followed to have it approved by the owners in the housing scheme were not correct and they placed it in dispute.
“The only solution to this was to have a new MOI drafted and approved correctly, but after two shareholders’ meetings and a round-robin vote, the HOA was still not able to get it approved because the owners have split opinions about one clause involving higher levies for consolidated stands.”
However, with the Community Schemes Ombud Service (CSOS) Act now in operation, Trafalgar has been able to assist the HOA to apply to the Ombud to take a decision and approve a new MOI, Schaefer says, and the matter has already been reviewed by a conciliator and referred for adjudication.
Another positive example of the help that the CSOS can offer Sectional Title and other community housing schemes is a current dispute over an alteration to a Sectional Title unit that does not conform to the overall design of the scheme, he notes.
“In this case, the owner of the unit did submit a plan which was approved by the Trustees, but when the alteration was done, it did not follow this plan. The Trustees wrote to the owner several times requesting that he amend the alteration but he refused to do so, and the body corporate then declared a dispute.
“However, the new CSOS Act had just come into effect and the attorney advising the body corporate recommended that it should first try the CSOS dispute resolution process before going to court. The body corporate agreed, and the first part of the process, the conciliation, has already taken place.
“Unfortunately, after some very heated discussion, it became obvious that the matter could not be resolved in this way, and the conciliator advised that it would be referred for adjudication. As the managing agent for this body corporate, we have followed up with the Ombud’s office and been advised that this is likely to take place within the next couple of months – which means that the dispute will be resolved far sooner than if the body corporate had decided to take the matter to court, and at a fraction of the cost.”
Indeed, says Schaefer, the whole purpose of the CSOS is to provide a cost effective and speedy way to resolve disputes within Sectional Title and other community housing schemes outside of the courts, and it is clearly working hard to fulfill this mandate.
“Anyone who is resident in a community housing scheme and is materially affected by a dispute within that scheme – whether it is between individuals or between an individual and the body corporate or the HOA - can apply to the CSOS to assist them to resolve the matter. It is important, though, to have a portfolio of evidence to present showing that attempts have already been made to resolve the dispute internally.
“Typically, these disputes arise over financial matters such as the non-payment of levies or special levies; governance issues and management issues such as the allocation of parking spaces or the control of noise and other nuisances. And quite often, they can be resolved through independent mediation or cnciliation, which is the first alternative dispute resolution service provided by the CSOS. The aim of this process is to assist the parties in a dispute to arrive at a mutually agreeable solution, with the help of a third-party mediator appointed by the Ombud.”
Conciliation generally takes between two and four hours and is relatively inexpensive, he notes, requiring the payment of just R50 to lodge the application, and with no legal representation being allowed. Bodies corporate or HOAs can, however, be represented by managing agents, and will usually be charged an hourly rate for this service.

“If the parties cannot reach agreement during conciliation, the matter will be referred for adjudication, which is the second alternative dispute resolution service provided by CSOS. This process begins when an independent adjudicator is appointed by the Ombud, or selected by both parties from the list provided by the Ombud, and ends when this adjudicator has heard from each party and then makes a binding decision as to how the dispute is to be resolved.
“Once again, the process is relatively quick and inexpensive compared to the courts, although adjudicators’ orders are enforceable in the Magistrate Court or High Court depending on the quantum or nature of relief granted.”
Further details of how the alternative dispute resolution service works and how to apply are available on the CSOS website

  Comment on this Article

  Please login to post comments

Post to my facebook wall
Characters remaining

    Latest Property News
    • 17 Nov 2017
      FWJK has announced the launch of its latest residential brand, the Lil’ Apple, which will be launched simultaneously in two developments in Cape Town and Umhlanga totaling 600 apartments. The Lil’ Apple is set to be a brand of FWJK’s New York style apartments which will be rolled out nationally.
    • 17 Nov 2017
      It’s been a tumultuous year on many fronts, with socio-political uncertainty setting the tone for much of South Africa’s economic activity yet despite this and seemingly counter-intuitively, the residential property market has held up well.
    • 17 Nov 2017
      The EAAB (the Estate Agency Affairs Board) recently claimed that around 50,000 illegal estate agents could currently be operating illegally.
    • 16 Nov 2017
      Penthouses are synonymous with New York – characterised by high-rise living that is decidedly luxurious and spacious. While exclusivity comes at a price, you can still create a “penthouse” look and feel in your existing apartment or even the upstairs bedroom of a double storey house with some clever design changes and styling touches.
    • 16 Nov 2017
      The area has long been popular with kite surfers and, with escalating property prices in Cape Town itself, is increasingly in demand with home owners who work in town, but are looking to invest in more affordable properties.
    • 16 Nov 2017
      Cape Town’s popularity as a world-class tourist destination has resulted in a spike in the number of homes available for holiday lets and fuelled investor demand for sectional title units with short term rental potential.
    • 15 Nov 2017
      Sappi, one of South Africa’s oldest global companies and a leading global supplier of sustainable woodfibre products, has moved its global and regional headquarters to a new site on the corner of Oxford and 14th Avenue in Rosebank.
    • 15 Nov 2017
      There’s an old saying in real estate that you should seek to make a profit when you buy, not only when you sell – and a large part of succeeding at that endeavour is buying a home in an area with desirable features that will enhance the resale value of your property.
    Subscribe to the MyProperty Newsletter

    Last Name  
    Email Address  
    Email Frequency
    Share this Page

    For Sale Property
    Rental Property
    More Options
    Connect with us